Friday 31 January 2014

The Nerd List January 2014

LOL NO I TOTALLY DID NOT FORGET THAT TODAY WAS THE LAST DAY OF JANUARY AND I DIDN’T FORGET THAT I HAD TO POST A NERD LIST EITHER HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Okay so I forgot… But it’s still January 31st, so technically I’m not late. (Well, I’m TYPING this on January 31st but if I upload it on February 1st at least you know that I tried…)

I’m sorry. January has been… unbelievably hectic. In both good and bad ways. The start of the new school year was disastrous to say the least, and half of my textbooks didn’t arrive in time for school (much to the delight of both my teachers and the friends whose books I had to share), plus then the beauty of “First Term Fabulousness” like English speeches and Music assignments and History essays and Physics homework that makes me want to cry… and then the added excitement of organizing the Matric Dance (which is tomorrow) and then still trying to maintain what remains of my social life. If by social life you mean reading life, like I do.

Anyway, I’ll shut up now and get back to the Nerd List.

Books


Books I’ve read this month:

Book of the month


Swimming Through Clouds by Rajdeep Paulus was definitely one of my favourite books… probably ever. Her writing is so beautiful, and the story was unique and heart warming. I highly recommend reading it.

(Also note that I ranked it above J. M. Barrie, who is by far one of my favourite authors of all time. If that doesn’t say something I don’t know what will.)

Book boy of the month


Ummm… Duh it’s obviously Lagan. He writes romantic sticky notes and is prepared to wait forever just to be with the girl he loves. I don’t know many boys who would do that. Scratch that – I don’t know ANY boys who do that (but I’m hoping that there’s at least one out there who I can lock away and force to write ME romantic sticky notes.)

Book quote of the month


“The reason birds can fly and we can’t is simply because birds have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.” – J. M. Barrie, The Little White Bird


Moments


Fangirl moment of the month


Well… this is kind of embarrassing but I totally freaked out when Rajdeep Paulus DMed me on Twitter to ask me to review her new novel, Swimming Through Clouds. In fact, I made such a scene that my parents got even more worried than they usually are when I fall into a pit of depression after finishing a favourite series. It was a fangirl session to match The Nickelback Incident of 2013, when I freaked out so much upon hearing I had tickets to their concert that I think – had they been home – the neighbours would have probably had enough proof to finally send me to an asylum with soundproofed walls.

Facepalm moment of the month


In the afore-mentioned fangirl session, I may or may not have tripped up the stairs while running to inform my family of my news. In case you didn’t read that right, I tripped UP the stairs. Unfortunately, as most of my family can confirm, this is a regular occurrence, and yes they will be getting me tested.


Music


Album of the month


All Time Low’s Don’t Panic: It’s Longer Now! has been on repeat since I got it for Christmas. It has the perfect mixture of songs that can be played for almost any mood – a couple of my favourites being For Baltimore, Somewhere in Neverland, If These Sheets Were the States, Backseat Serenade, The Reckless and the Brave… okay so maybe I just love all of the songs. Is that a crime?

Song of the month


5 Seconds of Summer’s Wherever You Are is probably the most played song on my iPod right now. Of course, it would probably be easier to listen to if the band could finally release an album… (Hint, hint – you said it’d be out before 2014.)

Lyric of the month


“Give me therapy. I’m a walking travesty, but I’m smiling at everything.” – All Time Low, Therapy


Other


Movie of the month


Do. Not. Judge. Me.

I watched Frozen and I absolutely loved it with all of my heart. It’s such a typical Disney movie, with the cheesy, clichéd songs and that one happy-go-lucky character that’s severely annoying, but beautifully lovable at the same time, and who could forget the adorable trusty sidekick in the form of an animal or imaginary creature (Olaf the snowman is the character that made Frozen the funniest Disney movie I have ever seen.) But, but, BUT there’s a twist. And wow…

(Side note: if you ever tell me that I am too old to be watching Disney movies, I will force you to watch The Lion King with me while I quote every single line and sing every single song in the characters’ voices, and then we’ll watch all the Bonus Features and I’ll enlighten you on all the interesting facts behind the movie. Then we’ll move onto The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Hercules and Sleeping Beauty.)

A new thing I’m obsessed with


The Tomorrow People. Oh. My. Word. I don’t think I’ve ever loved a TV series so much since season one of Glee. In fact, I love it even more. It’s basically about a group of “super-humans” called the Tomorrow People (hence the name of the series), who have the abilities of Telekinesis, Teleportation and Telepathy. It’s awesome.



Thanks for reading this month’s Nerd List! I hope you enjoyed it! Feel free to comment below on some of your favourites, and don’t forget to subscribe to get notified every time I post a new blog or review.

1 comment:

  1. Disney movies rock (I loved Frozen! Beauty & the Beast still gets me humming for days ;)) ... And so excited for you about the review!

    ReplyDelete