Saturday 7 September 2013

Back to School Blues


The holidays are officially over. As of Wednesday, it was back to the 6 a.m. alarms, seven-hour school days, pointless homework assignments and sleepless nights. Not to mention the procrastination. That, too, returned, and the only thing I seem to be doing in time is watching The Carrie Diaries – my latest favourite series. So that’s the reason there haven’t been any reviews this week. I literally haven’t picked up a book since Tuesday night. I am falling apart, and I haven’t even been through a week of school yet.

But that’s not all, folks. As of 5:45 a.m. on Monday morning, I am on yet another camp. Two in one year. That is an Amy Bouwer record. And I never voluntarily put myself in any situation where there is bugs/dirt/rats/snakes/monkeys/physical exercise etc., so you can imagine what I’m going through right now. I am mentally preparing myself to wake up with a tarantula on my face in the middle of the night.

But this camp shouldn’t be too bad, seeing as it’s an “academic camp” which means that instead of hiking for nine hours a day, I will be testing the drinking water and collecting “species” (that is legitimately what it said in the handout. That we will need several – SEVERAL – tupperwares to collect species.) According to the girls that have already been on this camp (it’s a mandatory camp for all grade 10s in our school) I will PHYSICALLY HAVE TO PICK UP A SCORPION AND INSERT IT INTO A PLASTIC BOTTLE TO TEST IT LATER. I’m freaking out here. I can do hiking, I can do sleeping in tents, I can even cope with cooking out in the open with a gas stove which could potentially start a fire, but I do not – I DO NOT – do scorpions. Or lizards for that matter.

But anyway, you might be thinking what the point of me venting about a camp that I haven’t even gone on yet is, but basically, it means I will be away until Friday. In the middle of the Kwa-Zulu Natal Midlands. Picking up scorpions. With no cellphone/laptop/iPad/iPod/WiFi. Which means that I will not be blogging or reading while I am there - but I WILL be spending seven hours in a bus with seventy other girls, so I might MAYBE get some reading done - in which case I will update my blog WHEN I GET BACK ON FRIDAY.

Onto my next point. I only get back on Friday. The thirteenth. I’ll let that sink in. Think for a little while about what Friday 13 September means… Keep thinking…

Got it?

FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH OF SEPTEMBER IS THE RELEASE DATE OF THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES - i.e. I will be getting back from camp, taking five showers, lacing up my six-inch heels and pulling on my best black Shadowhunter outfit and drawing runes on myself, then heading out to go and see the movie (YES I AM THAT MUCH OF A NERD/FAN OF THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS GET OVER IT). Because I will NOT miss that premiere and let my sister come home and tell me EVERY. SINGLE. DETAIL of the movie I have been fangirling over for months.

So, um… yeah the point of this blog was supposed to be an apology for me not posting reviews this week, and informing you that I would not be blogging until late Friday/Saturday morning, but I guess it turned into a huge vent of my issues with nature/camp, so I’m sorry. I have to go pack now. Wish me luck.

Expect another VERY detailed camp saga when I get back.

1 comment: